This past fall, the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston held a contest inviting submissions of descriptions of modifications of existing parish programs and events designed to make explicit some catechetical content related in a natural way to the program or event. This new catechetical content was to be correlated to the Archdiocesan Catechetical Framework for Lifelong Faith Formation.
Submissions were judged anonymously based on the following criteria:
- Conformity with the contest format (i.e. did the submission take an existing program or event and, while leaving the basic structure intact, suggest modification and enhancements that make explicit catechetical material)
- Feasibility of application in parishes broadly across the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
- Creativity of approach
- Amount of catechetical content made explicit
We are pleased to announce the following winners:
- 3rd place: Ivanna Meshell of St. Mary Magdalene parish for her submission on Helping Hands Ministry.
- 2nd place: Matthew Kiernan of St. Luke the Evangelist and St. Helen parishes for his submission on the Parish Fish Fry.
- 1st place: Matthew Kiernan of St. Luke the Evangelist and St. Helen parishes for his submission on Deanery Dodgeball.
The winning entries may all be viewed on the Framework website at http://www.archgh.org/OEC/Catechetical-Framework/Framework-Resources-for-PCLs/
More examples, based on other contest entries, will be posted there in the near future.