At Roman noon today the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith issued an instruction issued regarding cremation and the disposition of cremated remains.
The highlights include:
- Cremation is permitted so long as it is not chosen specifically as a means of denying some part of the Catholic faith.
- Cremated remains are to be inurned integrally and permanently.
- This should take place in a cemetery, a church, or other designated and consecrated area
- Cremated remains are not to be reserved in private homes.
- Cremated remains are not to be divided among multiple locations.
- Cremated remains are not to be scattered.
- Cremated remains are not to be preserved in mementos, jewelry, or other objects.
You can read the document in its entirety and relevant commentary here: http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2016/10/in-new-doc-cdf-aims-to-bury-ashes.html